Descriptor Definitions (Mark all that apply):
- Acetaldehyde - Green apple-like aroma and flavor.
- Alcoholic - The aroma, flavor, and warming effect of ethanol and higher alcohols. Sometimes described as "hot."
- Astringent - Puckering, lingering, harshness and/or dryness in the finish/aftertaste.
- Diacetyl - Artifical butter, butterscotch or coffee aroma and flavor. Sometimes perceived as a slickness on the tongue.
- DMS (dimethyl sulfide) - At low levels a sweet, cooked or canned corn-like aroma and flavor.
- Estery - Aroma and/or flavor of any ester (fruits, fruit flavorings or roses)
- Grassy - Aroma/flavor of fresh-cut grass or green leaves.
- Light struck - Similar to the aroma of a skunk.
- Metallic - Tinny, coiny, copper, iron or blood-like flavor.
- Musty - Stale, musty or moldy aromas/flavors.
- Oxidized - Any one or combinations of winy/vinous, cardboard, papery, or sherry-like aromas and flavors.
- Phenolic - Spicy (clove, pepper), smokey, plastic adhesive strip and/or medicinal (chlorophenolic.)
- Solvent - Aromas and flavors of higher alcohols (fusel alcohols.) Similar to acetone or lacquer thinner aromas.
- Sour/Acidic - Tartness in aroma and flavor. Can be sharp and clean (lactic acid) or vinegar-like (acetic acid.)
- Sulfur - The aroma of rotten eggs or burning matches.
- Vegetal - Cooked, canned or rotten vegetable aroma and flavor (cabbage, onion, celery, asparagus, etc.)
- Yeasty - A bready, sulfury or yeast-like aroma or flavor.
- Scoring Guide
- Outstanding (45 - 50): World-class example of style
- Excellent (38 - 44): Exemplifies style well, requires minor fine-tuning
- Very Good (30 - 37): Generally within style parameters, some minor flaws
- Good (21 - 29): Misses the mark on style and/or minor flaws
- Fair (14 - 20): Off flavors, aromas or major style deficiencies
- Problematic (0 - 13): Major off flavors and aromas dominate
BJCP 7B. California Common
Aroma (as appropriate for style) Comment on malt, hops, esters and other aromatics: 8 / 12
alcoholic. roasty, lightly apple/fruit tones.
Appearance (as appropriate for style) Comment on color, clarity, and head (retention, color, and texture): 2 / 3
very light carbonation. light tan head.
Flavor (as appropriate for style) Comment on malt, hops, fermentation characteristics, balance, finish/aftertaste, and other flavor characteristics: 14 / 20
very hot dry. roasty finish, burnt on the back end. pleasant hop bitterness. SHARP alcohol.
Mouthfeel (as appropriate for style) Comment on body, carbonation, warmth, creaminess, astringency, and other palate sensations: 3 / 5
medium light mouthfeel.
Overall Impression (as appropriate for style) Comment on overall drinking pleasure associated with entry, give suggestions for improvement: 6 / 10
this beer will be great with some age to cut the hotness. not sure if that will stop the accetaldehyde.
Total Score: 33 / 50
|Not To Style||Classic Example|