Judge BJCP ID: Judge 1: /u/BloaterPaste (ID: G1264) Judge 2: /u/Panthrosrevenge
Descriptor Definitions (Mark all that apply):
- Acetaldehyde - Green apple-like aroma and flavor.
- Alcoholic - The aroma, flavor, and warming effect of ethanol and higher alcohols. Sometimes described as "hot."
- Astringent - Puckering, lingering, harshness and/or dryness in the finish/aftertaste.
- Diacetyl - Artifical butter, butterscotch or coffee aroma and flavor. Sometimes perceived as a slickness on the tongue.
- DMS (dimethyl sulfide) - At low levels a sweet, cooked or canned corn-like aroma and flavor.
- Estery - Aroma and/or flavor of any ester (fruits, fruit flavorings or roses)
- Grassy - Aroma/flavor of fresh-cut grass or green leaves.
- Light struck - Similar to the aroma of a skunk.
- Metallic - Tinny, coiny, copper, iron or blood-like flavor.
- Musty - Stale, musty or moldy aromas/flavors.
- Oxidized - Any one or combinations of winy/vinous, cardboard, papery, or sherry-like aromas and flavors.
- Phenolic - Spicy (clove, pepper), smokey, plastic adhesive strip and/or medicinal (chlorophenolic.)
- Solvent - Aromas and flavors of higher alcohols (fusel alcohols.) Similar to acetone or lacquer thinner aromas.
- Sour/Acidic - Tartness in aroma and flavor. Can be sharp and clean (lactic acid) or vinegar-like (acetic acid.)
- Sulfur - The aroma of rotten eggs or burning matches.
- Vegetal - Cooked, canned or rotten vegetable aroma and flavor (cabbage, onion, celery, asparagus, etc.)
- Yeasty - A bready, sulfury or yeast-like aroma or flavor.
- Scoring Guide
- Outstanding (45 - 50): World-class example of style
- Excellent (38 - 44): Exemplifies style well, requires minor fine-tuning
- Very Good (30 - 37): Generally within style parameters, some minor flaws
- Good (21 - 29): Misses the mark on style and/or minor flaws
- Fair (14 - 20): Off flavors, aromas or major style deficiencies
- Problematic (0 - 13): Major off flavors and aromas dominate
BJCP 16D. Biere de Garde
Special Ingredients: Palisade Peaches
Aroma (as appropriate for style) Comment on malt, hops, esters and other aromatics: 7 / 12
Judge 1: Malt sweetness, no hop aroma, light toastiness. I wish I could smell the peaches. Light fruity esters. Judge 2: Light esters, light fruity esters & peaches, very light malt.
Appearance (as appropriate for style) Comment on color, clarity, and head (retention, color, and texture): 3 / 3
Judge 1: Pale golden with dense white head. Good clarity, all to style. Judge 2: Light gold color, light haze.
Flavor (as appropriate for style) Comment on malt, hops, fermentation characteristics, balance, finish/aftertaste, and other flavor characteristics: 16 / 20
Judge 1: Sweet malt, smooth, very mild peach flavor. Mild hop bitterness leaves the malt very forward. Fruit is noticeable, if restrained. Judge 2: Light maltiness balances out with light bitterness, slight acid.
Mouthfeel (as appropriate for style) Comment on body, carbonation, warmth, creaminess, astringency, and other palate sensations: 4 / 5
Judge 1: Medium body & high carbonation, some alcohol warmth, very nice. Judge 2: Fluffy foam & carbonation, medium-light body.
Overall Impression (as appropriate for style) Comment on overall drinking pleasure associated with entry, give suggestions for improvement: 8 / 10
Judge 1: Very very nice example of the style. Good alcohol level, and very malt forward. Restrained fruit extenuates the malt. Wonderful! Thank you for sending it! Judge 2: Malt character light for style, well balanced, consider entering in a different category.
Total Score: 38 / 50
|Not To Style||Classic Example|